Pead Survey: G2.068 Sir Henry Campbell de la Poer Beresford-Peirse D: 11.08.1972 Bur: 12.08.1972
Henry Campbell de la Poer Beresford-Peirse was born on 24th April 1905 in Hereford, England. He was the son of Henry Bernard de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 4th Baronet Beresford of Bedale, and Lady Mabel Marjorie Campbell. He married Margaret Grant on 19th April 1932 at Christ Church, Paddington parish in London. He had three children, the last of whom (Mary Spiers) was adopted in 1965.
He was educated at Eton and Magdalen College Oxford, where he attained a Bachelor of Arts, and in 1929, a Bachelor of Science in Forestry. He served as a territorial in the Lovat Scouts with the rank of Major and saw service in the Second World War.
He was employed by the Forestry Commission, in 1929, as a Probationary Forest Officer at Fort Augustus in Inverness with a salary of £215 per annum. Between 1962 to 1968 he was Director General of the Forestry Commission. He was a renowned Forester known for his courage, directness and ability to make immediate decisions.
Upon the death of his father in 1949, Henry became 5th Baronet Beresford of Bedale and was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 1957.
Henry died in Lisbon on 11th August 1972 and was buried the next day. His gravestone is, perhaps, one of the most beautiful monuments in the British Cemetery, not for its size or monumental nature, but for the loveliness of the design. The use of a tree with both foliage, trunk and roots envelops the words recording his name and life as well as elements of his coat of arms. The grave is located at the rear of St. George's church in the area G2 opposite the parish rooms. It is well worth a visit.
Died 11th August 1972
Aged Sixty Seven